Listen and watch
Podcasts, interviews, and more on nonviolence and the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative.
- Lessons from the pandemic: A new definition of national security. Marie Dennis is interviewed by Sojourners’ Jim Wallis for his “Soul of the Nation” podcast. 6 May 2020.
- “Civil resistance: The power of the people”: America Abroad radio interview with Hardy Merriman, Erica Chenoweth, James Lawson, et al
- Global peacemaking – the struggle goes on: Audio of Pat Gaffney’s (former general secretary of Pax Christi England and Wales) talk on 24 October 2018 as part of the “Remembering war, making peace” series at the United Church, Winchester, UK.
- Pax Christi presidents promote Catholic Nonviolence Initiative. On 1 March 2018, Marie Dennis, co-president of Pax Christi International, and Judy Coode, project coordinator of the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative, were interviewed by Philippa Hitchen of Vatican Radio about the roots, goals and challenges of the Initiative. Follow link for audio and transcript.
- “The San Jose de Apartadó [Colombia] Peace Community vows neutrality”: America Abroad radio program
Workshops, webinars, and more on nonviolence and the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative.
We are grateful for the assistance of Tom Eddington in creating the following four videos which help explain different components of nonviolence. Each segment is unique.
- Defining nonviolence — interviews with Myla Leguro (Philippines), Archbishop Peter Chong (Fiji), Rania Murra (Palestine), Fr. Emmanuel Katongole (Uganda), Jasmin Nario Galace (Philippines), Fr. Dave Kelly (USA), Sarah Thompson (USA), Jean Baptiste Talla (Cameroon), Christina Leaño (USA), and Pietro Ameglio (Mexico)
- Understanding nonviolence — interviews with Christina Leaño (USA), Pietro Ameglio (Mexico), Jasmin Nario Galace (Philippines), and Jean Baptiste Talla (Cameroon)
- Planning for nonviolence — interviews with Christina Leaño (USA), Fr. Emmanuel Katongole (Uganda), Myla Leguro (Philippines), Jean Baptiste Talla (Cameroon), and Rania Murra (Palestine)
- Nonviolence in action — interviews with Fr. Dave Kelly (USA), Jasmin Nario Galace (Philippines), Archbishop Peter Chong (Fiji), Fr. Emmanuel Katongole (Uganda), Pietro Ameglio (Mexico), and Christina Leaño (USA)
- Nonviolence: Key to a Laudato Si’ future, a webinar held on 17 May 2017
- December 2020 retreat on nonviolence with the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development
- This Google doc includes a list of video resources on nonviolence.
- Seeds of the mission: Ken Butigan tells a story of nonviolence in El Salvador
- 1) Love 2) Mercy 3) Forgiveness – These three videos are shared by the Youth of Jesus’ Homeland-Palestine (YJHP), a volunteer-based mission that works under the umbrella of the Assembly of the Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land and under the administration of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem. YJHP serves about 3,500 Christian children and youth who belong to more than 18 parishes, as well as different Catholic schools and churches.
- How women wage conflict without violence, TEDTalk by filmmaker Julia Bacha, who shares stories of effective nonviolent resistance, including eye-opening research on the crucial leadership role that women play. June 2016
- Videos and talks given at October 2017 conference on nonviolence and just peace at University of San Diego, including speakers such as Cardinal Peter Turkson, Maria Stephan, Marie Dennis, Ken Butigan, Eli McCarthy, Terrence Rynne and Gerald Schlabach
- “Mainstreaming nonviolence”: Ken Butigan’s TEDxDePaul University Talk
- “How to topple a dictator”: Srdja Popovic’s TEDxKrakow Talk about the nonviolent movement that took down Slobodan Milosevic in Serbia in 2000
- “The success of nonviolent civil resistance”: Erica Chenoweth at TEDxBoulder
- Webinar recording: Promoting civil resistance as part of the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative [hosted by the International Center on Nonviolent Conflict (ICNC)]
- Updates from the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative with Gerry Lee, Judy Coode, Marie Dennis, Eli McCarthy, with an update from Pax Christi Pilipinas/Center for Peace Education, Miriam College. (2017)
- The centrality of Gospel nonviolence: A report-back from the Rome conference, given by Eli McCarthy to the Thomas Merton Center, Pittsburgh PA, June 2016 (YouTube) (PowerPoint presentation available here)
- Videos from 2016 Nonviolence and Just Peace Conference. During the two and a half day conference on nonviolence and just peace, four fishbowl sessions were held. Videos show how each began with a short reflection from 3 or 4 participants, and then opened to broader discussion. Most of the discussion is in English, with some in French and Italian. The topics were experiences of nonviolence, Jesus’ way of nonviolence, nonviolence and just peace, and moving beyond unending war.
- On October 19, 2016, the missions of Australia, Belgium, Costa Rica, the Netherlands and the Philippines to the United Nations hosted a briefing on unarmed civilian protection. This two-minute video introduced the session. To view, use this password: nojustwar
- Choosing Peace: The Catholic Church returns to Gospel Nonviolence, edited by Marie Dennis, is now available from Orbis Books. In recent years the Catholic Church’s approach to issues of war and peace has refocused on the tradition of nonviolence and peacebuilding in place of the traditional framework of Just War teaching. Among the milestones was an historic conference hosted at the Vatican in 2016, which gathered 80 peacemakers from around the world. Watch this short video about Choosing Peace.
- Cardinal Peter Turkson, president of the Pontifical Council, delivered a message from the Holy Father (YouTube)
- Throughout the fall of 2016 the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative organised a series of webinars introducing the work and mission of the CNI and the groundbreaking Nonviolence and Just Peace Conference. Each webinar has a post, with background information, slides, and a recording of the webinar itself.
- Webinar #1: Introduction to Nonviolence & Just Peace conference
- Webinar #2: Experiences of nonviolence and Jesus’ way of nonviolence
- Webinar #3, Nonviolence and Just Peace: Moving beyond war
- Webinar #4: Outcomes, implementation from Nonviolence & Just Peace conference (includes a special message from Archbishop Antonio Ledesma, SJ)