Statements from the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative
- An appeal to Pope Francis: Nonviolence is the path to a Laudato Si future.
- The Appeal to the Catholic Church to recommit to Gospel nonviolence was released at the end of the Nonviolence and Just Peace conference in Rome, April 2016. We encourage you and your organisation to become a signatory. The appeal is available in English, en español, en français, auf Deutsch, Nederlandse taal, italiano, em português, Arabic, po polsku.
- Statement from the workshop “Path of nonviolence: Towards a culture of peace” Also available en français and en español.
CNI conferences — background papers and additional materials
- Path of nonviolence towards a culture of peace 2019 background papers, theological reflections, photos and a statement from participants.
- Nonviolence and Just Peace conference 2016 background papers and theological reflections.
- Commit to the centrality of Gospel nonviolence. Prepared by Sr. Cathy Arata, SSND, who attended the Nonviolence and Just Peace conference held in Rome in April 2016.
- Responding to structural violence exposed by Covid19, written by Marie Dennis for the Vatican’s Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development’s Covid19 Commission, 2020
- The Good News of Peace and Nonviolence: How nonviolence is essential to a culture of peace, written by Marie Dennis and Ken Butigan, February 2020
- Just Peace Ethic A short introduction and framework, prepared by Eli McCarthy.
- What is active nonviolence?
- What is trauma healing?
- What is restorative justice?
- What is unarmed civilian protection?
- What is nonviolent resistance?
- What is a just peace approach? (updated)
- Nonviolence and civil resistance, by Pietro Ameglio, SERPAJ Mexico (Also available en español)
Reflection/action guides for small groups
- Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace study guide
- Choosing Peace study guide
- Reflection and action guide on Myanmar, 2021
- Making active nonviolence our way of life in the Church and the world, a preparatory guide and questionnaire: This resource has been produced primarily as a tool and secondly as means of gathering information. // en español // en français
- An action guide for individuals and groups to implement the goals of the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative
- Nonviolence and Just Peace: Template for small group reflection. PDF (English, US sized paper), PDF (English, A4 paper). This resource is also available en français, en español, and italiano.
- A parish guide to Gospel nonviolence by the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative
- Catholic Nonviolence Initiative PowerPoint for secondary school students, prepared by Pax Christi England & Wales
Webinars and videos
- Retreat on Gospel Nonviolence: Breaking Barriers, Binding Wounds, Healing Nations (23 minutes)
- Nonviolence: Key to a Laudato Si’ future
- Retreat on nonviolence, December 2020, with videos from Dr. Bernice King, Fr. Emmanuel Katongole, Michael Nagler, Mairead Maguire and others
- Defining nonviolence interviews with Myla Leguro (Philippines), Archbishop Peter Chong (Fiji), Rania Murra (Palestine), Fr. Emmanuel Katongole (Uganda), Jasmin Nario Galace (Philippines), Fr. Dave Kelly (USA), Sarah Thompson (USA), Jean Baptiste Talla (Cameroon), Christina Leaño (USA), and Pietro Ameglio (Mexico)
- Understanding nonviolence interviews with Christina Leaño (USA), Pietro Ameglio (Mexico), Jasmin Nario Galace (Philippines), and Jean Baptiste Talla (Cameroon)
- Planning for nonviolence interviews with Christina Leaño (USA), Fr. Emmanuel Katongole (Uganda), Myla Leguro (Philippines), Jean Baptiste Talla (Cameroon), and Rania Murra (Palestine)
- Nonviolence in action interviews with Fr. Dave Kelly (USA), Jasmin Nario Galace (Philippines), Archbishop Peter Chong (Fiji), Fr. Emmanuel Katongole (Uganda), Pietro Ameglio (Mexico), and Christina Leaño (USA)
- Promoting civil resistance as part of the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative hosted by the International Center on Nonviolent Conflict (ICNC)
- CNI accomplishments, November 2017
- Pietro Ameglio on just peace and nonviolence
Throughout the fall of 2016 the Catholic Nonviolence Initiative organised a series of webinars introducing the work and mission of the CNI and the groundbreaking Nonviolence and Just Peace Conference. Each webinar has a post, with background information, slides, and a recording of the webinar itself.
- Webinar #1: Introduction to 2016 Nonviolence & Just Peace conference
- Webinar #2: Experiences of nonviolence and Jesus’ way of nonviolence
- Webinar #3, Nonviolence and Just Peace: Moving beyond war
- Webinar #4: Outcomes, implementation from Nonviolence & Just Peace conference (includes a special message from Archbishop Antonio Ledesma, SJ)