Pax Christi International and its Catholic Nonviolence Initiative is pleased to offer Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace in the Church and the World, the culmination of a three-year global conversation among church leaders, community organizers, activists, social scientists and theologians about how the Catholic Church might return to its Gospel nonviolence roots and transform the world.
The book shares the experiences of on-the-ground nonviolent interventions, explores the scriptural, theological and historical foundations of nonviolence, reviews the most current social science on how nonviolence has been effectively employed, and outlines a vision for how the Church might embrace active nonviolence into every aspect of its life.
For a paperback (in English), please visit
The Great British Book Shop, to order from the UK (available to ship anywhere)
Winchester Book Gallery, to order from the US (available to ship anywhere)
Use coupon code PCM15 to save 15 percent, only at Winchester Book Gallery
Visit PayHip for an EPUB in English y en español
ONLY FOR EPUB, only on PayHip: Use the coupon code “PCI40” to save 40 percent.
EPUBs bought on PayHip can be read using Apple Books (formerly iBooks) or similar readers. Not compatible with Kindle.
Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace e-books (in English) are also available for sale on
Nook (Barnes & Noble) Kobo Kindle
Use this study guide to read Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace with your community/small group
Guía de estudio Impulsando la no violencia y la paz justa en español
Guide d’étude Faire progresser la non-violence et la paix juste en français
Read affirmations for Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace
Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace is a biblical, theological, ethical, pastoral and strategic resource for anyone seeking to understand or expand Catholic thinking on nonviolence. It answers commonly asked questions about active nonviolence and Catholic social teaching, including:
- Does nonviolence work to resolve conflict?
- What did Jesus and the Bible say about nonviolence?
- What has the Church taught about nonviolence?
- Is nonviolence the same as pacifism? How are they different?
Advancing Nonviolence and Just Peace explores the foundations of Catholic thinking about nonviolence. It includes reviews of papal statements and church documents, a survey of the biblical teaching from the Hebrew Bible and Christian scriptures, a review of contemporary theological research on nonviolence, and dozens of recommendations for further discernment on how the Church might live into its Gospel nonviolence mandate.
This is an essential resource for moving forward the dialogue on how the Church can lead, teach and respond to conflict in the world. Consider ordering an extra to share with your bishop or other church leaders.
- The failure of war and its weapons, Paul Rogers, Bradford University
- “Following her lead”: Women, faith and nonviolent action to transform violence, Susan Hayward, U.S. Institute of Peace
- Nonviolence and creation care/climate justice, Amy Woolam Echeverria, Global Catholic Climate Movement
- The Catholic practice of nonviolence, Ken Butigan and Rev. John Dear
- Nonviolence in the Hindu, Jain and Buddhist traditions, Rev. Vincent Sekhar, SJ
- Nonviolence in the Islamic tradition, Rev. Jan Peters, SJ
CNI roundtable papers: